What is an Internship?
Internships are field work experiences which provide you with the opportunity to:
• Explore a career field of interest
• Gain career related experience
• Choose a major and select courses that will support career goals
• Develop and/or improve marketable skills that will make you more competitive in the job market
• Obtain references from professionals in your intended field
• Network with potential employment contacts
How to prepare for an Internship?
• In order to find the right fit for your career interest and goals, you should determine your internship target and know where to search for internship opportunities.
• You should also have prepared a resume and have practiced your interviewing skills.
• Schedule an appointment for a mock interview with a Career Counselor in order to prepare and gain feedback.
• All internships require a minimum of one semester commitment
Factors to be considered before making a commitment to an Internship
• Specific project responsibilities
• What will be learned in relation to achieving career goals
• Supervision and training provided
• New skills that will be learnt
• Coordination of one’s schedule to include course work and internship
• Time spent commuting to and from the internship site
• Academic schedule and/or work hours
Make an appointment with an internship counselor in C-102