Friday, December 21, 2012

Assessing My Abilities and Interests


   When assessing my abilities and interests I noticed there was a common theme which actually helped me realize and understand my main career goal. Although I am focused on finding a career that allows me to help my community and gain more knowledge and expertise, my ultimate goal, in all honesty, is find a career that allows me to be financially comfortable. Many might think this to be selfish and materialistic, but there are reasons why I am so focused on obtaining this goal. I grew up in a low income family and throughout my life I’ve always had to struggle financially. Where other kids dream of becoming an artist or doctor one day, my goals have always been a little different. Out of financial struggle and lack of stability growing up, my dream was just to make sure that one day I would not have to worry about money. I dreamed of being able to provide for my family, having a decent home, putting my kids through school, all while not having to live a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle. I would like to find a career that challenges me and provides me with knowledge gain, but my real satisfaction will come from knowing that I am providing a better lifestyle for myself and my family.
     Now when it comes to the importance of finding a job that matches your abilities and interest and values, I do believe that this is true to some extent. While you should focus on finding a career that will eventually lead to your ultimate goal and satisfy your values, I do believe sometimes you may have to put your personal values and interests aside, at least  temporarily, while you gain the knowledge and experience in order to advance. For example, with myself, I would like to one day obtain a high ranking position within the police department. This position will allow me to fulfill my two most important personal and work values which are to help others and to obtain financial stability. However, I understand that as a stepping stone to get to that position I must first enter the force as a lower ranking officer and therefore take a salary that may cause me to struggle for some time. Although this will be challenging and a bit frustrating, I know I need to do this in order to gain the training and experience I will one day need if I plan on advancing within that career. It is a sacrifice I would need to make temporarily but I know it will pay off in the end.


After assessing my abilities and values and outlining all the things I am looking for in a career, I now understand what my ultimate goal is and what I need to obtain that goal. Whether your goal is to be the boss one day,  help save lives or to just plain get a paycheck, a goal is a goal and as long as you work hard and take the necessary steps to achieve that goal, there’s no way you won’t find true job satisfaction.Cesar Fernandez

2 comments:

  1. Outstanding presentation skills.Clean driving license help with essays candidates of Asian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, some essay service providers will try to pass off an old paper from their essay database, which can get you in trouble for plagiarism.
    review writing service

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment! We love hearing from our readers.