Tuesday, December 20, 2016

C-102 Career Peers get Strong!




 
Thoughts on the Strong Inventory Assessment from our Career Peers

 

Gerardo Battiante

 

One of the first assignments I received when I started my experience as a Career Peer was to take the Strong Interest Inventory survey.  My advisor explained to me that this was a good opportunity for me to narrow my interests and understand what would be the career path that best fits my skills and aspirations. This survey really is a good tool: the report I received was extremely detailed and very accurate. Before I took the survey, I knew I wanted to work in the field of Finance and Economics, but I wasn’t sure what exactly I wanted to be and how to get there. With the help on my advisor, I was able to read and understand what was stated on my report. I believe this tool should be a mandatory assignment for all the students in the school. It can help both students with a clear idea regarding their career, and the undecided ones.

 

Zeenib Younis

 

 I think that the strong Inventory Assessment is a great resource in terms of making decisions about one’s career field. It gives you a wide range of career choices that you can pick based on what your interests are. Even if you are fully decided what your career would be I think everyone should still take it, especially every new KCC student. And of course for those who are undecided, this should definitely help. While taking this assessment at some of the points I was able to pick more than one of my interests and I think that’s very useful. That’s because it shows you what other career fields are out there that can still fall under your interest’s category. This would be very beneficial if you believe you won’t be able to complete your major, as you still can work in the same desired field, but in a different way. For instance, if you decide the medical field is not right for you, you may consider teaching biological science. 

 

Allison


Personally, I already knew about the many careers that I wanted to pursue, so I made sure to participate in activities that involved my career interests, such as dancing, culinary arts, teaching, and politics. But when it came time to settle on a career choice I was indecisive.  From all the areas that I've tried, I didn't know which one would be best for me to fully pursue as a career. I always had a keen interest in helping people so I took up studying criminal justice. Knowing that criminal justice is a broad field, I set out to find how to narrow down my career options in a specific area, and taking the Strong Inventory Assessment greatly helped me in doing so.

While taking the assessment, I noticed questions that approached preferences of working independently or with a team, that scaled your likes or dislikes on occupational tasks that deal with mathematical ability or musical expression, and other questions that allow you to explore the possible directions you can take towards many career choices. I found it interesting how the Strong Inventory Assessment can be a great confidence booster, in that the assessment uses your interests to direct you to occupations that you may not have had in mind, but gives you an idea of what you are capable of doing.

 

There are so many decisions, skills, and years of studying that you may need to dedicate yourself to in order to reach a career that is the one you want.

The Strong Inventory Assessment gave me the extra motivation to take up in politics along with my criminal justice studies.  I now want to pursue a career as a politician, who has the potential to break barriers and make an actual difference in many people’s lives.  Whether it is in a field that gives you the opportunity to make a difference as a community service leader or the chance to innovate the next smart car as an engineer, I strongly encourage students to take the assessment and see for themselves how their interests can guide them to the potential career of their choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment! We love hearing from our readers.