Wednesday, February 10, 2016

When I Grow Up...

 Everyone has their own journey. I hope that mine can help others find their path. 
    
      We all had our dream jobs when we are little. Superhero, nurse, fireman, teacher, ballerina these are just a few popular dream jobs children have. When I was little I wanted to be on Broadway. I loved musicals and I loved performing. So I performed every chance I got to the point of making a decent living off it. Performing is a passion of mine but I soon realized that the unstable income was not the most appealing aspect of the job.While performing I also work many different jobs. Each one helped me to find my way. I knew I did not want to continue living in lack so I decided to change it. Taking charge of my life was the first step finding my career path. 

      I decided to to go back to school for Liberal Arts that way I can explore different subjects and see what career path may interest me. Step two: Do not be afraid to explore and go beyond what is plainly seen. 


    School was great. I was loving all of my classes which was making my path seem a bit fuzzy. So this brings me to my third step. Step three: Seek help from knowledgeable people. For me this meant a Career Counselor. I took the Strong Interest Test which I highly recommend to anyone within a ten mile radius. The test did not tell me what I was going to be, it showed me a path so that I can focus my energy on a goal. It showed me that I knew myself better than I thought. Now what am I to do with this information? Step four: Do your research. Explore different jobs that relate to your interests. The internet is so useful for research. 

    Remember our lives are a journey. We should try to enjoy every moment of it. There is no right or one way to stumble upon your career path. These are just things that I did and perhaps they will work for you. We must also remember that the average person can change their career more than three times in one lifetime. So what do I want to be when I grow up? I want to be an Academic Counselor but who knows what my journey may bring I will just enjoy the ride.

By: Lillian Collazo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment! We love hearing from our readers.