Thursday, September 8, 2016

Cover Letter

The saying "You learn something new everyday" is so true.

The first job opportunity I received was through Summer Youth Employment Program. The program was pretty straight forward. I worked 25 hours a week, which was 5 hours a day and I was compensated for my work bi-weekly on a Visa debit card. I worked in a nursing and rehabilitation center as an Activities Director. One good thing about the Summer Youth Employment Program was it didn't and still doesn't require any work experience. It actually gave me the experience I needed to create a resume. Realize how I only mentioned resume. 

It wasn't until now taking this student development class, that I finally know what a cover letter is and what it's used for. The simplest way for me to explain what a cover letter is, is it's your resume put into words. There's a heading, greeting, 3 body paragraphs, a closing, and your signature. 



There are three types of cover letters. The application letter, the referral cover letter, and the letter of interest. The application letter is written when you are applying for a specific job opening. The referral cover letter is when you mention the name of someone who has referred you to a job. Last, the letter of interest is written when you are inquiring about possible job openings at a company. 

A few things to include in your cover letter are why you want to work for the company, skills you've learned from your past job experiences, and why you think you're a good fit for the position you are applying for. Last, asking for an interview opportunity and also showing appreciation and thanks for the employer taking the time to read your cover letter. 

I hope my blog was simple and easy for you to understand the importance of a cover letter.

-Jocelyn Horton



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment! We love hearing from our readers.