Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Resources to Help Students Transition to KCC


            There are many resources and services to help transition incoming students into Kingsborough Community College. I recommend going to (1) the Accessibility office, (2) the Reading and Writing Center and (3) the Office of Career Development, Transfer, New Start and Scholarship Opportunities.
            The Accessibility office helps students with disabilities with various tasks. For example, the Accessibility counselors helped the students with accommodations. They helped students get extended times on a test and help other students take notes. My counselor helped make sure that I get extra time to take my exams and helped me get a Note-taker to take class notes. My counselor also helped me register for my classes. The Accessibility Office will help other students with disabilities transition into college.
            The Reading and Writing Center is another resource for incoming students. It helps the students improve their reading and writing skills. I needed help practicing for the reading comprehension test because I didn’t understand the reading passages. My tutor helped me with my mistakes by checking my grammar, punctuation, spelling, mechanics and usage. The tutor helped me make corrections to my essays. The Reading and Writing Center can help other students to revise their essays and to get a higher grade in their English class.
            The Office of Career and Development, Transfer, New Start and Scholarship Opportunities helps the students apply for college transfers, jobs and scholarships. I went to see my scholarship counselor and she helped look over my scholarship application. I also went over my job application with my career counselor because I needed help finding a job. This office will help students submit their applications.
~Richard Lam

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment! We love hearing from our readers.