Thursday, July 12, 2012

An Officer's Outlook


Since I want to become a Police Officer, it is best that I look at some of the requirements and the job outlook. To start my research I used the Occupational Outlook Handbook, you could also find it online at www.bls.gov/oco. Police officers are here to protect people and property, investigate suspicious activity, and patrol jurisdictions.
To become an officer, you need to have a High School Diploma or two years of college, that include physical education classes, and training in the police department for twelve to thirteen weeks. Their starting salary is $44,744. In 2008 there were 661,500 people employed as police officer but there’s a 9% growth rate that may just change to 718,800 in 2018. Although there is job growth, it is not the greatest occupational outlook, but I am satisfied with it.
I could go to my major department on campus in Room D309.  I can also go to a local precinct or even call the National Law Enforcement Recruiters Association to find out more or visit their website at www.nlera.org/.
-- Veronica Noel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment! We love hearing from our readers.