Wednesday, July 25, 2012

SD11: Career Development



Since taking SD 11, how have your thoughts about your career goals changed and what have you learned? 

                I must say SD11 is one of the best and most relevant classes I have taking while attending Kingsborough Community College. SD11 really puts you in a good position to find out what you want to do as a profession. The semester began with the Strong Interest Inventory, an online assessment that helped you find careers based on your personal interests. The students also were given access to other websites that allowed us to learn specific aspects of a specific career. For example, we learned about income, responsibilities, work environment, how to start in a profession, and also sources to indulge deeper into the career.

                We learned about resume and cover letter development. Our teacher taught us what to write and what not to write. A good cover letter and a strong resume can make or break you. We learned that most of the time, it is good to address your cover letter to a specific person in the company, preferably someone in human resources or a director of a department. We learned what qualities to express and which ones are not necessary. Each resume and cover letter should be tailor made for every different position you are applying for.

                We also were given pointers for interviews. One class assignment was a mock interview. A student had to dress properly and be interviewed by someone they did not know. After the interview the student would be told what they did well and what they did not do so well on. I felt this assignment was very helpful. Students are taught what questions are usually asked and how to respond to these questions adequately.

                As far as my personal career choice goes, I am still going to pursue becoming a Radiographer technician. I am satisfied with the aspects of the job that I’ve learned through this course. With the knowledge I have now, I am confident in my ability to obtain a position in this field. I am more motivated and prepared thanks to this class. SD11 has opened my mind to a lot of other careers I may be good at as well. I will look into them one step at a time.  

Tyrone Sterling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment! We love hearing from our readers.